Saturday, December 5, 2020

Christmas Combat Comics G.I. JOE "Weepy's Christmas"

Ten-Hut!
Christmas is a helluva time to be fighting a war...
 ...as the ORIGINAL G.I. Joe and his buddies discover during the Korean War!
This never-reprinted story from Ziff-Davis' G.I Joe #10 (1952), illustrated by penciler Irv Novick and inker Frank Giacoia, was published long before Hasbro unleashed their 12" action figures upon the kids of America, the phrase "G.I. Joe" was slang for American soldiers.
It was popularized in 1945 by the release of the movie Story of G.I. Joe, starring Burgess Meredith as real-life war correspondent Ernie Pyle as he traveled with American troops during the invasions of Tunisia and Italy.
Ziff-Davis used the phrase as the title for a new war comic beginning in 1950.
Set in the (then) present-day Korean War, the series detailed the saga of Private Joe Burch, and the rest of his unit.
Running an impressive 55 issues, the series ended in 1957 with Joe Burch and his unit reassigned stateside to Camp Humbolt.
We'll be presenting the highlights of the original G.I. Joe's comics career next year.
Until next time...
Dis-missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment